TSW. Trichotillomania. Books. Life.

And so another adventure begins...




This is a little post to simply mark another milestone. Today, I'm moving back to London and this time I think I am doing it right. Not only am I in the best place mentally but I am also moving in with my best friend and starting a new job in a week's time that I am SO excited about - plus the hours are good enough that I can still work on writing and my books in my spare time. When I last moved to London towards the end of 2015, I'd only just recovered from TSW and was thrown in at the deep end with a job that was just too intense, not giving myself any time to deal with what I had been through for the last two years.

I also realised something rather strange the other day. Last summer was a really bad time for me - not only was my anxiety at an all-time high but personally there was a lot going on in my life. I started doing a lot of thinking and I very quickly realised that how I was feeling and how I reacted to things all pointed back to my experience at secondary school. Secondary school was a place that changed who I was as a person and left me with pretty much next to no self-esteem - I became a shell of my former self. I also developed Trichotillomania and Dermatillomania and my original (non-steroid induced) eczema was so bad that I now believe it was down to all the stress I was under at school.

A year ago on Friday 8th July 2016, I decided to visit my old secondary school and write it a letter in a bid to try and find some kind of closure, which I then threw in the bin of one of my old common rooms and walked away without looking back (I wrote an Instagram post all about it *here*). Exactly one year later, I am moving to London and in that time I have not only got to the best place with my Trichotillomania and Dermatillomania but written and self-published a book about my experience, written another 100,000+ word draft of a potential novel I'm excited about, started work on a book about my TSW experience, handed in my notice to my old job, moved back home and learnt so much about myself as a person.

In the last two years of my journey I have dealt with, at times, crippling anxiety and a definite case of PTSD but I think through a mix of meeting others going through TSW, tackling issues head on instead of burying them and a lot of deep thinking, I am truly healing.

Right, my next post will be coming to you from London so bye bye beautiful countryside and hello to pollution and overcrowding ... I can't wait!
Cara xxxx

8 comments

  1. Good luck to you from germany

    Hugs, Michael

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Cara, this blog is just spot on. Clearly things have changed as far as awareness re TSW.
    My name is Yombo and am in month 63. Knowing we are all singing from the same Hyme book, I couldnt help but think that your followers would be interested in my story (from a black skin perspective)& bacically continue my journey to wellness with me till I am completely healed.
    I look foward to hearing from you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Yombo <3 i'm so glad you like my blog, it means a lot! I would absolutely love to feature your story one day on my blog as a 5 questions with! Please keep me updated on your recovery and we can sort that out :)
      Big hugs
      Cara xxxx

      Delete
  3. When will you be posting the next '5 questions with'?

    In the meantime, you can be kept updated on my recovery if you subscribe, like and comment on my vlog.

    Thanks for everything!

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=szxSlSd6d5g&list=PLU6WzUPwGfkRU5o_vra0iv8RgpWy_nGMq

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not too sure yet! I'm taking a bit of blogging break for the next month or so as my laptop totally died but when you've recovered, I'd really love to feature your story!! I've just checked out your YouTube videotape and it's fantastic - well done you!!
      Big hugs
      Cara xxxx

      Delete
    2. *video not videotape - no idea what happened there!!

      Delete
  4. I admire this article for the well-researched content and excellent wording. I got so involved in this material that I couldn’t stop reading. I am impressed with your work and skill. Thank you so much. NL4S

    ReplyDelete

Blog Design by pipdig | © TSW Cara