TSW. Trichotillomania. Books. Life.

5 QUESTIONS WITH: Zip from The Wulf Runner


I am back with another 5 QUESTIONS WITH and this time I am welcoming to my blog Zip from the very inspirational Instagram account The Wulf Runner (here). I have known Zip for well over three years - first on Instagram, then in person - and now I feel lucky enough to call him a friend. The loveliest thing about this process is the friends you don't realise you will make. Zip went through withdrawal in 2015 after using topical steroids for 38 years. His transformation is just amazing and I am so excited to be able to have him on my blog. Zip also writes rather beautiful poetry under the Instagram account The Ballad Of The Wulf (here), but just a little word of warning, some of it might make you blush ... and on that note, I'll hand it over to Zip:

1) Tell us a little bit about yourself and your skin journey.
I've had what I believed was eczema for most of my life - as far back as I can remember (my mother believes I was around 4 or 5) and wondering why my skin couldn't be normal like other peoples. I remember the never ending cycle of visits to the doctor, prescriptions, creams, emollients, bath oils, wet wraps and the hospital stays. I scratched constantly - sometimes because of itchiness and a lot through habit. I also remember the anxiety about how I looked and what it meant for my interactions and relationships with other people and how it impacted school, university and working life.

Zip during withdrawal.
2) How did you find out about TSW?
I'd been using topical steroids for almost 38 years and I was worried about side effects - particularly the hypo pigmentation and ease at which my skin was scarring. I searched the internet and came across pictures of someone in Topical Steroid Withdrawal and confused this for side effects whilst still being on topical steroids. It wasn't until a year later that I searched more thoroughly and came across the ITSAN website. I remember the overwhelming relief that came from reading story after story of people experiencing the same symptoms as me and finally an understanding about why my skin flared everytime I tried to stop using the topical steroids. It made me realise that I had been experiencing the symptoms of topical steroid withdrawal for a long time - at least 20 years or so.

3) Did you find that anything aided your healing?
In the end, I think my body needed time and also I needed to ensure I rested, ate well, exercised and did things that were good for my mental and emotional wellbeing. I believe that when your body has become dependent on topical steroids that it has stopped doing things that it should be doing such as the adrenal gland producing its own cortisol (anti inflammatory hormones) and needs to recover.   That to me was the key. I did other things along the way to make myself comfortable - Epsom Salt Baths when I was oozing a lot, antibiotics for the skin infections that I had when the skin was fragile, moisturiser withdrawal but in general make yourself as comfortable as you can and try to do the things you care about with the people you care about.

4) Sum up TSW in five words.
Preventable. Devastating. Isolating. Defining. Metamorphosis and I know this is cheating but Temporary!
Zip now!

5) What positives, if any, have you found from going through TSW?
I have learnt so much about my body and my mind both mentally and emotionally and feel so much more comfortable in "my own skin" literally.  I probably have more scars now (thanks to habitual scratching when my skin was very fragile) but zero anxiety about how I look so that I'm able to present the real, unfiltered me to the world. I've also realised life is too short and have been getting back to how I want my life to be. I have also found my faith in humanity is stronger than ever - a big shout out to the TSW community - you guys are so amazing and supportive and I could not have done this withdrawal without you! Big Love x 

To follow Zip's TSW Instagram account, click here and for his fabulous poetry, click here.

Thank you so much Zip <3

Links to my previous 5 QUESTIONS WITH:
Henni @rawsomesoul (here)
Alice @healthy_healer (here)
Maleeha @TSWHealed (here)
Nina Sloan (here)
Nick @Eczemacism (here)
Stephanie & Isaiah Quinn (here)
Stephanie @TheItchyConundrum (here)
Josh @Redskinrecoverydiary (here)
Briana @PREVENTABLE (here)
Melanie Lynch (here)
Stephanie Miller (here)
Holly Dillon @GetYourSkinOut (here)
Me (here)
Keisha Gregson (here)
Douglas Maddy & Charlie (here)
Gillian Breslin (here)
Jasmine and Jennifer (here)
Robyn (here)
Brittany Hallberg (here)
Emma (here)

No comments

Post a Comment

Blog Design by pipdig | © TSW Cara