TSW. Trichotillomania. Books. Life.

My Topical Steroid Withdrawal update – Month 38


It's been another emotionally-charged time just like last month but most importantly, NONE of it was TSW related. I will cut to the chase and tell you about a few issues I've had over the last month: 

  • On Tuesday 12th July I had a minor rash on my neck. No photo of it as it was so faint (and small!!). I should point out that I was in Aix-en-Provence, France from 10th-21st July so it could have been down to new surroundings, yada yada...
  • On Wednesday 13th July I had sore lips and a slightly itchy knuckle on my right hand - in exactly the same place as last month which again only lasted a day. The next day my lips were dry but returned to normal around the 19th July.
  • On Tuesday 12th July, I got sunburnt and because of this, on Saturday 16th July I decided to use sun cream. I don't use it (... I know, bad Cara) because of the moisturiser issue and also because I just feel that it is wrong - I do acknowledge that most people reading this will disagree with me. Anyway, I used it on the 16th and by the evening, I had an almost identical rash on my face to the only other time I have used sun cream in the last year: back in December when I was away in Verbier, Switzerland (see post) *I have also included a picture of the rash from December in this post, along with others from the last month, as always*. Also, the neck rash that had been lying dormant since the 12th, but was pretty much gone, also came up really red. If this makes any sense it felt like an allergic reaction opposed to TSW loveliness and I can't help but feel that the sun cream was to blame. It could be an elaborate coincidence but the next day I didn't wear it and almost instantly, the rash vanished on both my neck and face. My skin was a little dry for the next few days before it returned to normal. I hasten to add, no one could see anything, not even a speck of dry skin, just me. So basically my theory now is I'm allergic to sun cream and I should buy all the hats!
  • On the evening of Wednesday 20th July I had nerve tingling and the feeling of thousands of tiny bugs crawling all over my skin (sound familiar?). It was enough that I had to keep checking that it wasn't bugs. It didn't worry me at all though and I just accepted it was my body tweaking and repairing itself after 10+ years of using topical steroids. 
  • On Monday 25th July I had sore feeling skin especially on my lips. Unfortunately I didn't log when it stopped but it must have been over pretty quickly as I don't remember it!
  • On the evening of Saturday 30th July I had the oddest tingling and wrinkling feeling in my fingertips. I know that's an odd way of putting it but I felt I should mention it as it instantly reminded me of when I would use topical steroid creams (Eumovate in particular) and the same thing would happen. I started thinking have I come into contact with it!?!?!? ... just your typical TSW-related anxiety attack. 
  • Finally I just need to mention how over the moon I am with my skin - it's been absolutely fabulous and I couldn't be happier!

So there you have it! Another month gone and somehow, it's already August. Remember that time passes and what you are feeling is only temporary <3

Big hugs
Cara xxxx






The next two photos are of the near-identical rashes I have got when I've used sun cream in the last year.


The next two pictures are from Saturday 23rd July 2016. I was on a long walk with my mum in the countryside, it was hot and I had my skin bare (no sun cream ...) and it felt in-cre-di-ble. To feel the sun on my skin is truly one of life's greatest pleasures. I am sure I won't be saying that in twenty years when I've literally turned into a leather handbag but for that afternoon, it was heavenly. Even more incredible is that this time last year the sun hurt my skin so badly. I've come a long way.



No comments

Post a Comment

Blog Design by pipdig | © TSW Cara