TSW. Trichotillomania. Books. Life.

My Topical Steroid Withdrawal update – Month 35


Today marks 35 months since I stopped using all topical steroids and it's also 1 calendar month before I hit 3 whole years of TSW. Wow.

It's been a quiet month with regards to my skin. Since my last monthly update post (here), my hands continued to recover from Verbier and after a few days, they were back to normal. There are a couple of minor issues I wanted to quickly talk about though:

  • On the 7th, 8th & 9th April I had slightly irritated raised bumps on my arms but they were so minor no camera could capture them. They disappeared very quickly.
  • Over the weekend of the 16th through to Monday 18th April, I worked looooooong hours and really didn't look after myself. I even went out without a coat, scarf or gloves when it was freezing and windy out (I foolishly thought it would be warm enough ... but it wasn't. As a Brit, this is shameful and I should always remember we have no proper summers and looking out of a window and seeing sun does not constitute a weather forecast). Well after that debacle, on Monday evening, the skin on my hands started coming up BUT the following day, just after a bit of meditation and sleep, my skin was completely calm again (photos of this ridiculously fast recovery below). 
  • Since then, my skin has just been wonderful. Nothing else to say really bar my monthly 'TSW is the best thing I have ever done', speech. Bored of hearing that yet?
I truly hope all of you suffering get some relief soon - you are so brave for sticking with it. When I was going through the really tough parts of TSW, there were very few people out there documenting their journeys which in a way made it easier as I didn't know what was coming or how long it would take. Now, there are so many more blogs etc out there showing you what it is like so for anyone taking the huge step to withdraw, you are absolutely incredible.

Big hugs to you all
Cara xxxx




















8 comments

  1. Hi Cara,
    I am 1 month into TSW after seeing your Daily Mail article online and realising that my recognition of the spreading of eczema over my body was not normal. Your article caused me to do more research into TSW and everything completely made sense! For this first month I feel like I have been coping relatively well, still going out to social events and attending work. Although I have spent this weekend crying in a sore, irratated, hot, sweaty, chilled, weeping heap! I have spent the evening watching your YouTube videos and it's giving me so much hope to continue with this and to power through. So thank you for the time you have put into documenting your journey. I'm sure I will be asking you many questions over the next few months as I imagine I'm going to struggle!
    Congratulations on perservering and getting beautiful skin.
    Katy
    Katy_52uk@hotmail.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh hello Katy, thank you for what you said! I am so glad you found my article and it directed you towards all things TSW and I am happy you find my videos useful too <3
      Just ask if you ever have a question and we are all there for you.
      Wishing you the best of luck on your journey!
      Big hugs
      Cara xxxx

      Delete
  2. Can I just say your blog inspires me so much Cara! I am 9 months in have seen progress already! I was wandering in terms of hair and beauty are you using anything that helps? I have come across Alumine shampoo and conditioner which is vegan and paraben free that helps with hair regeneration and within the first week I have seen incredible results, plus the formulation doesn't irritate my skin either!

    I have posted a link below in case you are interested in trying it out yourself:

    https://www.benevita.eu/en-gb/chinese-herbs-hair-care-system/chinese-herbs-stimulating-shampoo/

    I am glad to see that you are doing well, and I am sure that I will get to where you have!

    Kind regards

    Pooja

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your comment Pooja <3 Also congratulations for reaching 9 months - that is an amazing achievement! My make/beauty routine is woefully small. I don't use any moisturisers as I found they all irritated me and I also don't wear any foundation, powder or anything like that as I feel I don't really need it. I wear minimal eye make up and sometimes lipstick and remove it with coconut oil which I wash straight off. I use a sensitive 2in1 head & shoulders which I really like for my hair and I think that's about it! I hadn't heard of the shampoo and conditioner you mentioned so will look into it!

      Thank you again for the message and wishing you continued healing.

      Big hugs
      Cara xxxx

      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    3. Thank you so much for responding, that is pretty much what I do when I go through any clear spells, I have avoided foundation completely! The shampoo does help with dry skin too and it has not been tested on animals which is a even bigger plus! But yes I look forward to the day when my body can regenerate at a quicker rate!

      Big hugs too

      Pooja xxx

      Delete
  3. Your journey is an inspiration to many Cara, it gives me faith! Thank you for continuing to update us. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Sarah and I am so glad <3 It's a pleasure. Wishing you the best of luck with the rest of your journey and just reach out if you ever need to.
      Big hugs
      xxxx

      Delete

Blog Design by pipdig | © TSW Cara