TSW. Trichotillomania. Books. Life.

My Topical Steroid Withdrawal update – Month 48/4 YEARS!


On the eve of my four year TSW anniversary, I thought I would do a little update on how my skin has been since my last monthly update. I am putting this up a day early as I am posting something special tomorrow to mark the occasion. 

Wonderfully, I don't really have anything that interesting to report. I think I've realised that too much sugar/junk food mixed with cold weather and electric fan heating is a not a great combination and eating a sensible but balanced diet with plenty of exercise is important for the health of my skin. Over the winter of 2015/2016, I was pretty much sugar free, had a healthy, balanced diet and a very active lifestyle and bar any obvious TSW symptoms, I found my skin was incredible. I think in the warmer months I have a little more leeway with my diet etc but on the whole I always want to eat well, for me and my skin.

For a short time in early April then again in late May, I was bloated. Bloating is something I'd never had before (even though I've definitely had stomach issues) but for some reason, I've had it twice in a relatively short period of time - my theory is it's to do with stress or if I get very upset about something. Why I felt the need to mention it is that both times I was bloated I had a few spots on my face and the texture of my skin was a little odd too. To anyone else, my skin would have looked fine but to me, or anyone else going through a skin condition which makes you feel the need to dissect every single blemish or irregularity on your skin, I knew it felt and looked different. I definitely do believe there is some kind of gut imbalance with people who have eczema and/or are going through TSW. I don't believe it has any bearing on healing but I do believe there is at least something in it.

I find hands down that the condition of my lips and how dry they are is affected by either signs of a cold coming or my sugar intake and my lips really don't seem to like it when I have too much of it on a regular basis so I'm going to keep sugar down where possible. I have also been using Vaseline on my lips on the rare occasions that I need it and so far, there has been no issue. I will elaborate in a few months and talk about the changes to my beauty routine as I feel it's too soon to say anything yet.

My hands have been absolutely wonderful. The only issue I had was in late April - after a long period where the weather was warm and lovely, suddenly it was freezing and I got a tiny rash on my left hand (pictured below) but it went after a few days.

I definitely notice when I spend long periods of time glued to my laptop that my skin hates it - this isn't about rashes or flaring, just the quality of it isn't as good. If someone saw my skin who didn't know me or my story, they wouldn't think there was anything wrong but I know, if that makes sense.

I have been using a small bit of moisturiser on my legs as shaving etc really took its toll and so far, so good. My skin now appears to tolerate moisturisers BUT I want to give it a little longer before I start talking about and recommending any products as it's still early days. I'm not using moisturiser anywhere else and I'd rather not either as my feelings towards them are still not entirely positive and I'm only using it because of shaving etc.

I have nothing to say about any other part of my body as all I have now is unaffected skin (and it's soft at that!). I don't think any of my skin issues are related to TSW anymore - I believe what I have now is slightly sensitive skin which I wouldn't call eczema as it's too mild and I think over the years, fingers crossed, my skin will continue to go from strength to strength.

I really do believe that saying 'I've healed' is the kiss of death so I will continue not using the H word but I do think for the most part my TSW symptoms are gone and not coming back *TOUCH WOOD*. I don't know what would happen if I accidentally came into contact with either a topical steroid or immunosuppressant but I think enough time has elapsed since I last used either for there not to be a reaction. I know for a fact I will NEVER willingly use either of them again as they are not a solution and only mask any problems. Really, what is the point of them in the first place? The symptoms will still be there when you stop using them .... but I think that conversation is for another day :)

I would like to end this post by saying thank you for your support of both me and this blog. I am amazed by how it has grown over time and I'm so glad you like it.

Much love,
Cara xxxx


*Author photo taken on Thursday 11th May 2017*

I thought I would add in the next photo which I used for my #TransformationTuesday feature on Instagram (here). Photo on the left taken Tuesday 2nd July 2013. Photo on the right taken Thursday 11th May 2017. Never give up. 

4 comments

  1. Hi Cara - thank you for posting so much information. I'm going through TSW now and doing my best to stay positive. I dream of the day I feel good in my skin again. Have you heard of the Medical Medium? I feel like I'm getting answers about eczema from reading his book and wanted to share: http://www.medicalmedium.com/blog/healing-acne-eczema-psoriasis
    Thank you again for giving us all hope!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Jen and it's an absolute pleasure <3 I have heard about medical medium and I know it has done incredible things for eczema - I'd suggest checking out this fabulous instagram account https://www.instagram.com/healthy_healer/ as she had eczema and healed herself through the Medical Medium diet. I am very skeptical about diet healing Red Skin Syndrome as it is very different from eczema (only my opinion) as I do believe that time is the only healer BUT I believe a healthy diet for recovery is essential. I'd definitely try anything and who knows, it might work for you!
      Wishing you the best of luck with your withdrawal lovely and just reach out if you need to.
      Big hugs
      Cara xxxx

      Delete
  2. Thank you Cara! I just started following Alice. I agree RSS and eczema are two different beasts but since one stems from the other I'm going to give Medical Medium a try. I'll keep you posted! Thanks again for your well wishes. You are an inspiration to the rest of us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much lovely - I truly hope that it helps and please do keep me updated.
      Big hugs <3
      Cara xxxx

      Delete

Blog Design by pipdig | © TSW Cara